The exhibit beneath—one of 203 in our new report—gives a primary take a look at the 15 largest pharmacies, ranked by complete U.S. prescription meting out revenues for calendar yr 2019. I additionally spotlight enterprise developments that shifted market share amongst the greatest gamers.
As you will notice, pharmacy trade prescription meting out revenues reached a document $446 billion in 2019. Revenues had been extremely concentrated on account of the fast progress of giant specialty pharmacies and the a number of transactions that we talk about all through our report.
For a sneak peek at the full report, click here to download a free pre-publication draft overview (including the table of contents and a list of exhibits). We’re providing particular discounted pricing if you happen to order earlier than March 22, 2019.
Observations on these figures:
- The prime seven meting out pharmacies—CVS Health, Walgreens Boots Alliance, Cigna, UnitedHealth Group, Walmart, Kroger, and Rite Aid—accounted for about 70% of U.S. prescription meting out revenues in 2019. The prime 15 pharmacies accounted for greater than three-quarters of complete meting out revenues from retail, mail, long-term care, and specialty pharmacies.
- During 2019, CVS and Walgreens acquired retailer or prescription information from at the least eight small chains that had collectively operated greater than 100 shops. In many circumstances, the bigger chains have acquired smaller chains, shut down the acquired firm’s places, and transferred the prescriptions and sufferers to present shops. (See Chapter 2 of our new report.)
- Our 2019 figures mirror the vital professional forma influence of enterprise shifts amongst the largest PBMs. For occasion, meting out revenues from Anthem and Coventry Health Care transitioned from Express Scripts to CVS throughout 2019. (See Chapter 5 of our new report.)
- Kroger’s progress was pushed by its specialty pharmacy enterprise. Kroger operates almost 2,300 pharmacies in its 2,800 shops, however we estimate that its retail pharmacy revenues barely grew in 2019. I suppose this dangerous information explains why Kroger not bothers to report pharmacy gross sales in its monetary filings.
- In 2019, PharMerica accomplished its merger with BrightSpring Health Services, one of the largest suppliers of diversified house and community-based well being companies to complicated, high-cost populations. Our figures embody a professional forma estimate of the new firm’s mixed meting out revenues.
NOTES FOR NERDS
Our estimated prescription income knowledge might not correspond with figures from different public sources. Reasons embody:
- We have computed or estimated the figures on a calendar-year foundation. The fiscal years for a lot of public retail corporations don’t correspond to calendar years.
- Many corporations don’t report prescription revenues. We have subsequently used varied strategies and sources to estimate the knowledge.
- As famous in the footnotes to the desk above, we’ve got made varied changes to account for the professional forma influence of mergers and acquisitions in addition to sure shopper transitions amongst the largest PBMs. Year-over-year progress charges had been additionally computed based mostly on the prior yr’s professional forma revenues. Pro forma revenues are computed based mostly on the yr during which an acquisition was accomplished. Therefore, Diplomat Pharmacy is introduced as a separate firm for 2019.